Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Strange Principle: My Life



I come from a family of very humble people- the kind of humbleness that is part true humbleness and part fear. I was raised to never brag, to work hard but doubt myself, to be passive in the name of 'going with the flow'.

These values were never overtly spoken, but modeled every day in both my parents. The rationalization was that stating what you wanted and go for it was egocentric, aggressive, too bold.

I come from people who work hard, who get up early on Sundays to go to church and run Sunday School classes, who volunteer blood, sweat and tears to causes that inevitably don't show appreciation back, and who suffer and bide their time, waiting for life's rewards. This is a problem with people around the world, especially with women, and particularly with my family.

I always said, though, I'd rather be humble and not ask for what I want that be a 'bad person' who is selfish.


What I didn't realize is that those aren't our only two options.



When I was 23 I took on leadership roles in the Soka Gakkai that put about six young women under my care. I had what appeared to be a strong practice and lots of faith and determination, but the truth was that I was very unhappy and hoping that I would somehow 'win' happiness by taking care of others. Of course, taking care of others is wonderful, but I did so to the detriment of taking care of my own needs. Eventually I exhausted myself and completely fell out of activities for a year and half, questioning not just my leadership role, but my entire belief in this practice. I had been doing what the gosho warns us again and again not to do—I was placing the law outside myself.


And what I also didn't realize is although I'm not a Christian, I was practicing a Christian-Buddhism, in which by being 'selfless' and by suffering I was somehow cleansing my life, earning my future happiness. Through much sadness, struggle, and daimoku I came to the realization that I don't 'earn' my happiness.

Over the past year, I have regained a profoundly stronger practice and faith, and I feel my greatest lesson was learning to listen to myself and trust my life. If I feel deeply compelled to do something, I do it, if I don't, I don't. I try not to allow myself to be swayed by what other people want or seem to want from me- and no matter what, I try not to place any head above my own.

The beautiful irony of this type of self-reliant practice is that by having great esteem for myself, I can interact with others without having to place them above or below me—I feel secure enough to just be and let others be. I have so much less anxiety than I used to. And I no longer fret over being the perfect Buddhist—I just observe my mind when it becomes agitated and go to the gohonzon—reiterating again and again that, no matter what, my life is 100% respect-worthy.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:52 PM

    I can really relate to this. My family totally ascribes to the Catholic immigrant mentality of "Work hard towards achievement without question, not for the satisfaction and improvement to life that achievement brings, but because there is no other way." It took me a really long time (and a lot of moments of pain, sadness, doubt, and self-neglect) to realize that loving and caring for one's self is NOT a crime, it's not a sin, and it's nothing to feel guilty about!

    I have found, once I've started putting myself first, that I am a better person to those around me. If I neglect myself and my needs (and I don't write desires here because I feel like desires stem from needs), I can't be the person I want to be, and I can't really fully interact with others. When this happens, any enrichment to my life that I might have otherwise had stops. I'm finding that the more I ascribe to this way of thinking, the more I view others as equals, because now they're not competition in the rat race towards achievement that was once my life, but rather peers along my personal route to success. (More people to celebrate with, in the end.)

    I've also started to realize that each person defines success differently and that ultimately, all that matters is how happy we are with our own achievements.

    Your posts are so well-written and thought-inspiring. You are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:18 PM

    I knew I liked you for a reason.
    Thank you for helping me begin to realize who and what I can be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:36 AM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete